MUSEUM OPEN MAY 18 - free admission to veterans (Armed Forces Day)
This bench was used by passengers waiting to board their trains at the Crystal Lake Station. Although the railroad lines actually ran through the village of Nunda, it was always known as the Crystal Lake station.
A new train station was built in 1914 west of the old depot. It was a one-story brown brick building with a basement that included separate waiting rooms for women and men, a baggage room, an express room, and a ticket office.
The bench dates to the same year the new train station opened. It was recently donated to the McHenry County Historical Society by the Crystal Lake Historical Society. The bench needs to be refinished so it can continue to be used as a public bench within the Historical Society’s museum.
© 2019 MCHS- All Rights Reserved.