This hand-colored and engraved 47-by-62 1/2-inch map was compiled and published by M.H. Thompson & Brother (Dundee,Ill.) and lithographed by Charles Shober (Chicago) in 1862.
It is the first commercial sheet map of McHenry County.
This map documents the early history of the county by showing views of businesses, residential and public buildings. It also lists county officers, board of supervisors and shows land ownership in every township.
The Historical Society has two original 1862 maps of McHenry County in its archive collection. The more pristine copy is preserved and not for public use. The adoptable copy was available to archive researchers and genealogists until its poor condition restricted its use. Once properly restored, it will be available again to be utilized by patrons of our research library.
The 1862 map currently has missing areas, including loss of color which need to be reproduced and conformed to the map. The acidic materials need to be removed from the paper to slow further deterioration. Overall, the paper is fragile, needing reinforcement with Japanese Tissue backing. Once repaired, the map will be encapsulated in Mylar to protect the surface from further damage.
© 2019 MCHS- All Rights Reserved.