The McHenry County Historical Society & Museum has extended the deadline and reduced the fee for its 2021-22 art contest. Entries for “This Place Matters: Historic Structures and Landscapes of McHenry County” now are due on Feb. 25.
MCHS is marking the second year of its featured exhibit “Art of the Past: Discovering History through McHenry County Artists” with a juried art show. Artists are invited to use their creativity and ingenuity to paint or draw historically significant buildings, structures and landscapes in McHenry County. The McHenry County Historical Society hopes this art show will foster an appreciation for history and create an awareness to preserve these historic structures for future generations. If you'd like, download our CONTEST FLYER which includes complete entry guidelines. And, please share it!
The contest rules are as follows:
• Entries due online by Feb. 25, 2022.
• Up to three works may be submitted digitally. Entry fee is $35.
• Entries will be limited to two-dimensional paintings, drawings or watercolors.
• Entries must relate to McHenry County buildings, structures or landscapes.
• Maximum overall size is 24-by-36 inches, including mat or frame.
• Glassless or Plexiglass framing only, for safety.
• Submissions will be judged by Sandra Lang, retired MCC art gallery curator.
• Artists will be notified by letter regarding acceptance by March 11, 2022.
• Artwork must be dropped off at the museum in Union by March 25 , 2022.
• Art will be displayed and sold during the 2022 May-October museum season.
• Exhibit opening spring 2022.
• Artists may specify a reserve (minimum) price.
• Half of the proceeds from the painting will be paid to the artist, with the remaining half benefiting the McHenry County Historical Society, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
• The Best in Show submission will not be sold or returned to the artist but will become a permanent addition to the McHenry County Historical Society’s art collection.
© 2023 MCHS- All Rights Reserved.