Historic School Tour

You are here

S M T W T F S
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
 
 
 
 
 

Join McHenry County College and the McHenry County Historical Society as we step back in time to visit our county’s historic one-room schools in southeastern McHenry County. Get a firsthand look at the restoration process of Haligus and Ford schools. Visit the seldom-seen, historic Turner Camp in Algonquin. Lunch is included.

For more information, to check availability or to request a brochure, or to RSVP to the Trip Preview, please call Claudia Terrones, MCC's coordinator of personal development programs, at 815-455-8782 or visit http://www.mchenry.edu/Trips/index.asp Historic One-Room Schools of Southeastern McHenry County, Saturday, May 31, 2014, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cost: $49 - (no refunds) Trip ID: NST S53 005

HALIGUS SCHOOL

  • Built ca. 1861
  • Interestingly, the “Irish” school split off from Haligus in the 1860s.  It was located only about a half mile away & may be still standing.  Reunited in the 1880s.
  • Longtime, and last, teacher at Haligus was Marian Conley.
  • School closed in 1947 and was auctioned off. Became a private residence.
  • The current owner is restoring it to a schoolhouse.

 FORD SCHOOL

  • Built in the 1880’s; replaced an earlier log school
  • Originally located at today’s Ford School Park
  • Closed ca. 1947 and moved to the south side of Algonquin Rd. where it became the office for a landscaping business
  • Obtained by the Lake in the Hills Historical Society and under the leadership of Bob and Arden Spooner was moved back to its original site in the Summer of 2013
  • Today, it is being lovingly restored by the LITH Historical Society

CRYSTAL LAKE ACADEMY

  • One of the oldest buildings in McHenry County; built ca. 1852
  • Housed the Crystal Lake Academy until about 1856 when it closed due to the passage of the Free School Act
  • Became the home of the Gates family of Crystal Lake
  • Today it is owned by the Episcopal Church of Crystal Lake and the old school, now known as Tarpley House, is still used for education of the young people of the church

RIDGEFIELD SCHOOL

  • Built in 1914 due to a fire that destroyed the previous frame school at Christmas, 1913
  • Was originally a two room school and then expanded to a 4 classroom building
  • Ridgefield remained a separate school district (Dist. 48) well into the 1950’s when it consolidated with Crystal Lake Elementary (Dist. 47)
  • Today it is the home of the McHenry County Jewish Congregation, which continues to use the building for educational purposes

TURNER CAMP

  • Founded in 1914. Alfred Wilde brought Turner boys from Tinley Park Turnverein chapter to a campsite near Cary in 1914. The campsite was on the Dunbar Cattle Ranch. Wilde brought them by train to Fox River Grove. They then hiked to the campsite.
  • Now encompasses 270 cottages on 102 acres. Many of the cottages are privately owned.
  • The Turnergurmeindt Movement was very important in, not only the history of Illinois Turner Camp, but also in the history of Physical Education in the school system in the United States. There are five different societies/clubs in the Chicago area, including Elgin and Aurora.
  • The Turner Society was a closely knit family group and activity centered around the Turner Hall for gymnastic instruction and social life. Many societies conducted their gym classes in German.